Street Art: “today it was sunny”

Did I mention how much I love Capitol Hill (Seattle) and all of it’s intricate character? From the older buildings, now mixed with newer development, to the open-minded, cosmopolitan, hip culture: Capitol Hill is full of life and energy. This sticker art is no exception. (**Side note: The Development is a whole other controversy if you live around here. People are worried that, with the new development, Capitol Hill will lose its characteristic and historical charm.  People love their neighborhood and they don’t want it to become like a generic mall. They wonder if development will gut, not only its buildings, but the neighborhood’s colorful vivaciousness. Read more here.)

Big Brother Is Watching You

The first piece is “Big Brother Is Watching You“. This is a sticker that, for several years– since I moved to Seattle in 2006, I have found this sticker so many places– The artist is prolific and sticks them up everywhere– including very high places, even though this one is at the base of a drain pipe (or whatever kind of pipe that is….like I know anything about pipes). I admire this a whole lot because of the genius of the placement of these. At certain points, I have found them everywhere, it seems. It is a nod to George Orwell’s book, 1984…and our civil liberties. It’s cues us to think about what the current state of our civil liberties are. I think out of all of the sticker art, this has been the largest project, in scale and length of time, and consequently, by it’s sheer volumn, the most meaningful. Wouldn’t it be great to see this as an installation in a museum? This is making a highly relevant statement that more people can benefit from participating in.

“Droid: Learn to Die, Avoid; Live to Dream” or “Avoid Droid”

I loved this one because it is a statement about living a robotic life… One might even speculate that it draws the same sorts of questions that “The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit” (a book written in the 1950s– Look this one up; it’s an excellent read) about living a life that is expected and uninteresting. Instead, living in a state of mindful possibility. You choose. That’s what I get from this one. Don’t box yourself in.

Pointy-ear-guy and Too-Cool-Sunglasses-Skull

I especially like the Too-Cool-Skull… he made me smile.

“today it was sunny and now i feel better”, “it’s going to get better”, “Star Rain Grass” and more.

I was completely charmed when I read,”today it was sunny and now i feel better.” (This is the heart of the Seattle experience, since it rains and is cloudy the majority of the year. (When we have sun, we really (!) appreciate it) … and where the same artist simply states “it’s going to get better”. I was filled with warmth after seeing that! Notice the whimsical creature to the left. There are a lot of other interesting stickers on this sign as well. I hope you’ll take a minute to investigate for yourself. (Press Ctrl + for PC users to zoom in, and Ctrl- to zoom out and take a look)

Well, I hope you got to taste a little of my adventure. If you enjoyed that, you can check out the related articles below. Next week, I’ll be back with another post of sticker art from the Fremont neighborhood (in Seattle). This one is going to be juicy! Some of the ones I found are too obscene to post (so I don’t get in trouble) (naughty artists!)– so I’m trying to figure out what I want to do with those (if you have any ideas).

About Rachel Heu

"Creativity is an act of defiance. You're challenging the status quo. You're questioning accepted truths and principles. You're asking three universal questions that mock conventional wisdom: Why do I have to obey the rules? Why can't I be different? Why can't I do it my way?" --Twyla Tharp, The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It For Life (pg. 133)
This entry was posted in My Daily Work and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Street Art: “today it was sunny”

1. Helen R. Gean says:

Hi Rachel! Don’t know how I got into this site from somebody’s e-mail address. Happy New
    year! Hope to see you this spring! HELEN

2. Helen R. Gean says:

Happy New Year! Hope you have a great time! HELEN

3. Helen R. Gean says:

Happy New Year! Hope you have a great time! Helen

4. Helen R. Gean says:

Rachel, I forgot to ask how your anniversary dinner was that night. Hope you enjoyed it! Hope you don’t miss my latest letter, I see the letters we wrote aren’t in chronological order. I wrote it just a few minutes ago. It 10/2/12. HELEN

5. Helen Gean says:

Hi there! Hope you had a nice trip! Do you think we can meet sometime on 8/1 or 8/2?
    Friend whom I was supposed to meet with on lst can’t make it. Otherwise, it’ll have to be either 6, 7, or 8 after I leave Auburn. Will probably be there late 8/2 or early 8/3to early
    8/6. Will be flying home early 8/9. Hope to see you soon!

• Rachel Heu says:

Hi Helen, Yes!! I can get together on the after 2p (except Wednesday the 1st). I tried calling you but no answer!! Hope you call back 🙂

• Helen Gean says:

Forgot to ask you how was your anniversary. Hope you enjoyed it! Thanks for calling. I may not be able to e-mail you from Auburn. So, be sure to check phone messages. Hopefully, we’ll meet Monday, August 6. I’ll call you soon as I can to confirm something.

• Helen R. Gean says:

Hi Rachel! Hope you have been okay! Got home yesterday about 3PM. Just exhausted.
        I will look up other website you gave me and I hope to order something soon. I will hold off
        on any paintings till I know whether or not I’ll be moving.
        I gave you Norma’s phone number. I’m sure she won’t mind you having her email. She said she’d like to attend art shows while there. It’s Nrogers95@aol.com.
        You can email Gabriel, my nephew, both of your websites. That way he can look at many options. Did you receive email I sent you with statues in CO park? Thought you might like it. I don’t want to send you too much as I know you are busy.
        I hope you didn’t think me too nosy. I really enjoy meeting with you. I’ll try to be more discreet.
        Anyway, I liked designs you showed me. Have to decide if I want greeting cards and/or something else. Before I do anything else, I have to get over extreme fatigue from trip. Hope you enjoyed your anniversary! Let’s keep in touch! HELEN

• Helen R. Gean says:

Hi Rachel! Hope you are not angry at me for not contacting you in such a long time. I still want to order those greeting cards of different designs and messages. I have either been
        ill or have had company. My son visited end of August. He is not the easiest person to get along with. Somehow, we managed. Gabriel quit his job at pizza place. Is returning back to Michigan tomorrow. I’ll ask him and my brother if they would like to order some cards or anything else. I’ll have to look at some paintings to see if I want any.
        I was really ill for a couple weeks or more due to probable sinusitis and mild flu complicated by heat. It’s been 100 or almost these last 2 days. I’m staying indoors because I don’t want to chance it.
        Hope you’ve been doing okay since I last saw you. I enjoy our visits. Somehow, I am afraid I annoyed you last time. Since it’s already October, why don’t I go to website and order cards or other things in November? That way, I should get them in time for winter holidays.
        I don’t go to EP much unless I get notified of private messages or comments. Looks as if Elegy is unsubscribed. That’s too bad. I liked her writings. Maybe
        her ex-husband found her there and she felt in danger. I hope not..
        Hope you’re enjoying fall weather up there. I still miss 4 seasons even after living in CA 36
        years. I just might move up to WA or somewhere else that’s cooler. Can’t stand heat and
        pollution anymore.
        I hope my friend managed to phone you. Said she’d like to attend art show
        before she returns to Florida. Take care! Hope you’re okay. HELEN